Millions of individuals live with varying degrees of pain while also experiencing limited amounts of energy. There are several quick and effective ways you can increase your energy levels while reducing pain. Incorporating physical therapy into your regular routine is one way to limit pain. Call STAR Physical Therapy for more information regarding the use of physical therapy for pain relief.
- Change Your Diet
What you eat can have an enormous impact on how much pain you experience and the amount of energy you have throughout the day. There are several foods that can help reduce pain and inflammation while also raising energy levels.
- Cherries – Eating cherries is a delicious way to increase antioxidant levels, which can reduce inflammation and inhibit pain.
- Ginger – The ginger plant, which is often used as a spice, can help reduce migraine pain, muscle achiness and nausea.
- Salmon – This wonder food provides omega-3 fatty acids that aid in reducing neck, back and joint pain.
- Hot Peppers – Even a half-teaspoon of powdered pepper each day may help reduce arthritis pain.
- Check Your Mattress
You spend approximately one-third of your time sleeping. This means the quality of your mattress can affect how you feel during your waking hours. While it used to be believed that a firm mattress was usually better for those suffering from most types of pain, you’re now recommended to choose a mattress according to your sleep style.
- Firm Mattress – Those who sleep on their back may feel better with a medium to firm mattress.
- Soft Mattress – Side sleepers generally will want to try a softer mattress.
- Memory Foam – Individuals who tend to toss and turn and sleep in a variety of positions should try a memory foam mattress.
- Boost Natural Endorphins
Exercise can release endorphins, which are feel-good chemicals in the body that can naturally reduce pain. It may seem more difficult to exercise while experiencing achy joints and muscles, but even a moderate amount of physical activity can help you feel better long after your workout is over. Other ways to naturally release endorphins include listening to your favorite music, eating chocolate and smelling the soothing scent of lavender.
- Reduce Stress
Stress can contribute to both emotional anxiety as well as physical pain. You need to have several quick stress-busters in your bag of tricks to reduce anxiety whenever it pops up. A warm bath is a quick way to instantly soothe aching muscles and joints while calming your nerves. Even simple breathing techniques can limit pain and energize your body. Take two or three deep breaths, and then slowly release them. Always make sure to breathe through your nose to get the most benefits.
- Visit a Physical Therapist
Physical therapy can do wonders for addressing pain and limited energy. A trained physical therapist can offer several types of methods to not only provide pain relief for symptoms but to treat the source of your pain. Some of the specific treatments a therapist might use include the following:
- Heat or Cold Therapy – Heat can warm tendons and muscles so they move easier. Ice can reduce inflammation.
- Massage Therapy – A physical therapist can massage and manipulate specific joints and muscles to reduce pain.
- Aquatic Therapy – Water can stimulate nerves and provide resistance for exercise and strength training.
- Ultrasound – Ultrasound produces sound waves that can assist in blocking pain signals to the brain.
Incorporating these tips into your daily routine can help reduce the amount of pain you’re experiencing while providing an energy boost. Contact STAR Physical Therapy Covington, Folsom, New Orleans, Slidell, Mandeville, & Lacombe, LA today to find out how physical therapy can be part of helping you enjoy a pain-free life!